Although the 70 mm IMAX theatres were sold out for weeks downtown, we had our pick of seats in the suburbs, and went to a regular theater to see the show with my half-Greek boyfriend and his teen kids.
It was as epic as I could have hoped, and a little safer than I expected, prepared as I was from the parent guide of IMDB for severe violence that was to be expected in a Greek myth.
I was not aware that the screenplay had been written by Christopher Nolan, whom I knew had directed the film. Although Odysseus was often narrator, most of the movie was a good balance of show, don’t tell. It felt safer to watch as a female than expected, with Calypso prompting Odysseus to tell his story from the unreliable narrator POV that was created for the movie as opposed, and Penelope mostly protected by a decorative sliding door from the rowdy crowds of greedy suitors being kept next door.
The movie was gripping, and flowed easily until maybe the last half hour of the 170 minutes. I think the battle scenes and how many suitors tried to string the bow could been cut down by at least 20 minutes to the films benefit.
The Trojan horse was beautiful craftsmanship and the exterior and interior scenes interesting, if not a little contrived. The scene with Hades was a little disappointing but Athena was often present and the results of the gods Poseidon and Zeus where evident, with the ship in weather scenes well done, as was the taking of Troy.
All in all, if the story with all is violence is known, I think it was an excellent movie with appropriately epic proportions.
No comments:
Post a Comment